Thursday 5 December 2019

A Pilgrimage to Preston

I am an admirer of Orwell's "The Road to Wigan Pier". A mere 18 miles way I was recently on the road myself undertaking a pilgrimage to Preston. What is certain, is that my epistle (this blog entry) is of inferior literary quality...

Aside from the low cost, there are virtually no positives of Megabus travel. Dundee to London is 12 ½ hours of being locked into an uncomfortable seat. Reading on a bus gives me a nauseous headache, so I can only manage large print books for short duration. The resulting journey is both mind and body numbing. The best I can do is to try to "zone out" via sleep.

Do not doubt that there was the corporeal penance of religion for this secular pilgrimage. The pre-desiccation one undertakes, to avoid the widely ill-reputed on-board facilities, is a trial in itself.

Similarly, there are virtually no benefits of travelling to Preston. :-) It will therefore perhaps surprise our reader that travelling through the centre of Preston on the Megabus recently gave me a spike of unexpected pleasure, for out of the window I spotted Preston Minster: the huge Victorian edifice from which I bought some monumental radiators on eBay. See the blog entry here.


I never, ever, expected to see this building, but recognised it instantly due to previous internet research. Of course I did not have my camera ready, but on the latest trip on the Megabus on the 30th November, I was poised.


Preston Minster from the Megabus: 30th Nov 2019
reclaimed radiators from Preston Minster




No comments:

Post a Comment