Thursday 1 August 2024

Gorky's Sun Dog

On the 12th of July this year, I organised a dinner party at the castle for my great friend Görkem (Gorky). Gorky was last in Scotland 10 years previously, so it was very much an occasion for celebration. I sneaked-in some surprise guests who Gorky had not seen, since we last worked together for a computer games company in Dundee.

Just before the meal, Gorky announced there was something interesting going on in the sky which he had seen from his bedroom at the castle. We all rushed out, and the amazing phenomenon lasted another 5 minutes or so before fading away.

We all savoured that special moment of being together as mother nature did her showiest best. I am presuming this is a sun-dog, but if anyone else knows to the contrary please let me know. I had seen sun dogs before, but this was against an otherwise dark sky which spectacularly highlighted the rainbow colours.


telephoto shot from Gorky's bedroom window


standard shot from Gorky's bedroom window


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this David :) I'm not sure it's a sun dog, how about a circumhorizontal arc? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumhorizontal_arc?

    ReplyDelete