Sunday 8 January 2023

The Great Gate Detective

Sometimes, Facebook's reminder of historic postings gives you a new perspective on a narrative, perhaps even that it might be blog-worthy. :-)

On the 8th January 2016, I visited UK Architectural Heritage: a veritable treasure trove of a reclaim yard in Herefordshire. I was picking up a fossil marble fireplace I had bought on eBay. Incidentally this fireplace was only installed last year - 6 years later!

Naturally, I had a look around the yard. One of the many items I regretted I could not afford were these lovely gates from Kensington Gardens.

gates at reclaim yard


On the 24th January 2016, I watched the film "Pan" (2015) and spotted the very same gates:


gates in movie "Pan" (2015) 


Wowzers! Had these gates really been removed from Kensington Gardens in the last year? I did some online detective work, and discovered the actual gates for Kensington Gardens are very different and even grander. The UK Architectural Heritage website revealed that the gates were genuine period gates, that had "KENSINGTON GARDENS" added to turn them into a film prop. Mystery solved!

The coincidence that I should be watching the film a few weeks later, and the fact I instantly recognised the gates are both astonishing to me. The Balintore connection is that J.M.Barrie, who wrote "Peter Pan",  visited Balintore Castle!




No comments:

Post a Comment