Sunday 17 April 2022

The Bigger Bong

On Holy Saturday (yesterday), as I was driving friends to the castle from Dundee Station, I had a spontaneous idea to visit "Reekie Lynn" as this scenic attraction is on route. 

Reekie Linn waterfall

With the lighter evenings I had been planning a walk in the vicinity of castle anyhow, but passing "Reekie Lynn" was too good an opportunity to miss, as my friends had never been to this spectacular waterfall before.

In the picnic area between the car-part and the river, some New Age people (for want of a better term) had set up the biggest gong I had ever seen in my life, along with a brazier and other ritualistic paraphernalia.


Reekie Linn picnic area


I was filled with an overwhelming urge to bong the gong, and discussed with my friend the etiquette of asking. It was going to be a tricky call. "I'll ask on the return journey", I declared to postpone facing the music.

Reekie Lynn worked its customary magic: roaring cataracts are good for the soul. 

On returning from the precipitous walk to the falls, I wondered how I was going to broach the subject, and fortunately one of the party walked right past me, so I could throw in my opening gambit "Is this some kind of ritual?" before going in with my bong request.

Part of the lure is my gong at the castle, upon which I feel I have achieved a basic level of proficiency. Some guests stole my gong mallet, so I have ordered a modest replacement one on Amazon, which has still not arrived. It did not go past me that the large and fluffy mallets of the party were high end items, to which my budget did not stretch.

Anyhow, the group members were very friendly and welcoming, and my wish was granted. The sound was phenomenal, you could feel the vibrations passing through you. My own gong was well and truly out-bonged.


the bigger bong (OK, so not quite this big!)


The group was there for a full-moon ritual - yesterday was the date of the full moon - and I was able to throw in that I myself throw dinner parties on the full moon. My group bonding was complete.

I am not sure what my friends thought, but they did remark that it was not the normal sort of incidental sight-seeing. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment